Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default How do I connect a wood 2x6 to steel beam??

on 8/19/2007 10:14 PM willshak said the following:
on 8/19/2007 3:38 PM said the following:
I need to frame in around a beam in my basement for drywalling. I want
to connect a wood 2x6 to the steel beam running down my middle of the
basement.

Can I glue it and will the glue hold? Drill a hole in the beam does
not sound safe. I cannot be the only one who needs to do this but a
google search did not return anything.

Any one out there know an easy solution?

Joe

How about you glue a 2 x in the web of the I-beam on both sides. The 2
x should be almost as tall as the web and rest on the inside bottom of
the beam. Glue wood spacers behind the 2 x so that the face of the 2 x
filler is exactly flush with the width of the beam.
Glue, screw, or nail the sheetrock to the 2 x from ceiling to the base
of the beam. Glue a piece of sheetrock to the base of the beam. Use
corner bead on the joints using a corner bead crimper since you won't
be able to get a screw or nail into the bottom edge of the bead due
to the steel, or;
Using the same 2 x filler as mentioned before, build a 1 x wood box
around the beam, gluing, nailing, or screwing the 1 x sides to the 2 x
filler and then butt nail the bottom 1 x to the side 1 x's. Sheetrock
the box, or stain it..

I didn't use a thousand words, but this might be worth the many I did write.
http://www.willshak.com/temp/

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY