Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics,rec.audio.pro
JosephKK JosephKK is offline

Default Could this device be built?

Michael A. Terrell posted to
sci.electronics.design:

msg wrote:

Spob wrote:

snip

Would it be possible to build a gizmo that could be
surreptitiously aimed at the offending stereo system to fry
some crucial components?

snip

I assume many high power radar site operators have pet stories to
tell, but I remember one that deserves a retelling:

There was a Merritt Island cop who set up a speed trap on a road
perhaps
a mile downroad from a powerful range tracking radar station.
The operators were not amused with the daily harassment from him
and decided to make his
life a little more interesting and theirs a little less hassled.
Siting the cop's squad car in the telescoping aiming site of the
radar dish, one of the
operators briefly keyed a pulse train and watched. Soon the car
left but
returned the next day. Again the operator sited and pulsed the
car and again
it left. After the third day it did not return. I do not know
if the tracking radar and cop's radar gun were on the same band,
however I do know that 1MW of microwaves was sufficiently
nondiscriminatory at the receiving end to burn out its front end.

Regards,

Michael

Bull****. The antennas rotate, but the elevation is fixed.
There is
no telescope on any RADAR Antenna, and no way to "Siting the cop's
squad
car". There are no keying of brief pulses, the system works with
steady stream of pulsed RF, and measuring the reflected signals.
I did some RADAR work in the US Army, and there was a pair of 2 MW
pulsed
RADAR transmitters in our building. You are spreading an urban
legend,
with enough holes to sink the Titanic (again). If the RADAR
equipment in a cruiser WAS damaged, it was because the idiot cop
was too close to
the RADAR site, and it was a coincidence. Even this is hard to
believe, because RADAR sites are usually well inside a fenced
area, far from
civilian areas, and high enough to clear close in ground clutter.
The high gain, highly directional antennas do not radiate enough
near field RF to do any damage, unless the cruiser was on very
high a hilltop, and less than a 1/4 mile from the RADAR site.

--
Service to my country? Been there, Done that, and I've got my
DD214 to prove it.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida

I have seen plenty of that type radar. It is not the only type.
Physically two axis mobile radars predominate in the military, or
did you forget? Newer military radars do not even have moving
antennas, they are electronically "steered". Both are capable of
sending a multi-megawatt beam where desired. Though a few
kilowatts would be enough.