Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,sci.physics,rec.audio.pro
[email protected] jimp@specsol.spam.sux.com is offline

Default Could this device be built?

In sci.physics Arny Krueger wrote:

wrote in message
In sci.physics Arny Krueger wrote:

"Ken Weitzel" wrote in message
news:IsPxi.68411$_d2.64084@pd7urf3no...

I do not know if the tracking
radar and cop's radar gun were on the same band, however I do know
that
1MW of microwaves was sufficiently nondiscriminatory at the
receiving
end to burn out its front end.

I bet it was sufficiently nondiscriminatory at the receiving end to
burn out the cop's front end, too.

When people talk about megawatt radars, they are talking pulse peak
powers.
Radar pulses are very narrow - less than a microsecond. However, its peak
voltage that usually frys semiconductors.

If these megawatt-rated radars were not sending out short pulses, but
continuous power, they'd have to build a commerical electrical generating
plant next to them to run them in the field.

Nike HIPAR, 10.4 MW, pulse width 6 microseconds.

10.4 * 10**6 * 6 * 10**-6 = 62.4 watts average power.

Hawk 2nd generation tracking HPIR CW RADAR AN/MPQ 39 power seems to have
not yet been revealed publicly. It has been publicly stated that the AN/MPQ
39 power output level exceeded that of the earlier AN/MPQ 33, which was 125
watts. This is a vast understatement!

You forgot to allow for the PRT.

The HIPAR average power was 26 kW.

The LOPAR was 1 MW peak, 1.3 microseconds pulse width, 650 W average.

The Hawk was OK when it worked instead of digging trenches while
chasing jack rabbits around McGreggor Range.

I heard the latest generation of Hawk doesn't do that.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.