Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] leondebusk@alltel.net is offline

Default Need recommendation for a air compressor

On Aug 8, 12:46 pm, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
Well, since everyone is talking used-high end over here, I'll mention old
Kellogg-American, which has proved to be pert-near indestuctible, run even
without oil.

A 5 hp 3 ph, very high cfm, was mistakenly set at *at least* 180 psi for
years (shopairat that time was a veritable *weapon*), and rarely had oil
added, or the sludge removed from the bottom of the very large tank. And
lub-dub quiet, for a big-ish shopcompressor.
Said sludge--the awful-est white sticky goop you can imagine--would be
drained from the tank, gallons upon gallons of it, when sed goop started
shooting out ofairhoses 50 feet away. goodgawd...
Quite freudian, actually....

Also, I think I'm the baddest em effer in this group, as I got FOUR
quincies!
And, I'd be even badder, iffin any of'em were running.
The g-d flywheels weigh 45 pounds each!

But, if quiet is any indication, the Husky I mentioned is wonderful, as
would be any unit with that head.
C-H indicated to me that they are the one's who indeed make that head, and
supply it to SpeedAire, among others.
I just hope that it is as long-lived as it is quiet.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Alex" wrote in message

news
I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or biggeraircompressor. Can anyone
comment on Husky compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

Thanks,
Alex

Alex, Shopping for a good air compressor is tough for most of us.
Sticker shock is common. My first compressor is a Speedaire from
Grainger. It's only a two HP single phase unit. It is one bullet proof
little unit. I needed more air so I bought a slightly used Devilbiss 5
hp. It is VERY similar to the Sears and Ingersol Rand and others of
the day. They were using ALL aluminum jugs then. Poor longevity. Just
now changing pump on that unit. 10 years is not too bad for 350 bucks.
Back to the point. Based on my experience with the Speedaire unit
I can recommend that brand. But you must realize that with our world
economy; there is no telling where components are made. Just do your
research and buy the best unit you can possibly afford. Although I
cannot recommend this brand; I would check out SAYLOR-BEALL. I am very
impressed with the pump cut-away. And the valves. Had I mot already
bought my new pump; I would have ordered on of theirs.
Hope this helps.