Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need recommendation for a air compressor

I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or bigger air compressor. Can anyone comment on Husky
compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

Thanks,
Alex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Alex wrote:

I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or bigger air compressor. Can anyone
comment on Husky compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

Husky will work fine for inflating tires or running a small nail gun. It will be
a loud, vibrating single stage imported air compressor, probably impossible to
get parts for. However, it is much cheaper than what most guys on this NG
recommend, which is to buy a Quincy or Ingersoll Rand.

I suggest looking in your area at used industrial compressors.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grant Erwin wrote:
Alex wrote:

I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or bigger air compressor. Can anyone
comment on Husky compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

Husky will work fine for inflating tires or running a small nail gun. It
will be a loud, vibrating single stage imported air compressor, probably
impossible to get parts for. However, it is much cheaper than what most
guys on this NG
recommend, which is to buy a Quincy or Ingersoll Rand.

I suggest looking in your area at used industrial compressors.

Grant

Thanks for the info.
What about Campbell-Hausfeld is also no good?

Alex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Alex" wrote in message
t...
Grant Erwin wrote:
Alex wrote:

I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or bigger air compressor. Can anyone
comment on Husky compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

Husky will work fine for inflating tires or running a small nail gun. It
will be a loud, vibrating single stage imported air compressor, probably
impossible to get parts for. However, it is much cheaper than what most
guys on this NG
recommend, which is to buy a Quincy or Ingersoll Rand.

I suggest looking in your area at used industrial compressors.

Grant

Thanks for the info.
What about Campbell-Hausfeld is also no good?

I believe C-H is Husky.

And, I beg to differ with Grant.
I have a 26 gal vertical Husky, bought "damaged" at HD for half-price, with
a compressor head virtually identical to those found on SpeedAire. In fact,
that's why I bought it, because I heard a fellow's SpeedAire, and marveled
at how quiet it was. Recognized the head on the HD Husky.

It is a cast iron head, oil, belt drive, with a 115/230V motor, heavy
flywheel--all good things.
And tech support that actually had a clue about re-wiring the motor. There
is a 1-800 number right on the tank, which works!

My only complaint is that altho the regulator has a set-able pressure
spring, there is no differential spring--even tho it looks like it has one,
as there are two springs. But they both do the same thing.
Bummer.

I took off the fan belt shroud to get more of a fan effect from the flywheel
spokes, and re-plumbed the whole thing, with extra make-up tanks to get
around 60 gal or so, and multiple quick disconnects, etc.
I also wired in a separate relay for the motor, so that the pressure
regulator just switches relay coil current, and not full motor load. Should
last much longer that way.

My friend, however, has a big-assed 80+ gal Husky two-stage, which burnt out
in about a year, and was noisey.
Also, the fellow with the quiet SpeedAire also has a larger two-stage
SpeedAire, which is much more noisey than his small single stage, and with
head problems he had to fix.
Go figger.

The consensus here is to avoid Sears compressors at all costs.
Avoid aluminum heads (they say), direct drive, and oil-less.
Altho I have an Alton 10 gal aluminum direct drive *with* oil! Sam's club,
$99. Noisey pita, tho, but it works. Use it mostly as a makeup tank.

The compressor is for shop air, and a Fadal cnc milling machine, which uses
a lot of air.
And yeah, I'm the envy of my neighbors when it comes to filling tires.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:18:39 -0700, Grant Erwin
wrote:

Alex wrote:

I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or bigger air compressor. Can anyone
comment on Husky compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

Husky will work fine for inflating tires or running a small nail gun. It will be
a loud, vibrating single stage imported air compressor, probably impossible to
get parts for. However, it is much cheaper than what most guys on this NG
recommend, which is to buy a Quincy or Ingersoll Rand.

I suggest looking in your area at used industrial compressors.

Grant

If he is close to California..he can have a decent Champion that is
collecting dust in the back 40. Needs new rod bearings. Simple job.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 03:44:20 GMT, Alex wrote:
I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or bigger air compressor. Can anyone comment on Husky
compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

I have had a good luck with my Curtis compressor, which I bought used.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/CurtisCompressor/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:18:39 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Grant Erwin quickly quoth:

Alex wrote:

I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or bigger air compressor. Can anyone
comment on Husky compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

Husky will work fine for inflating tires or running a small nail gun. It will be
a loud, vibrating single stage imported air compressor, probably impossible to
get parts for. However, it is much cheaper than what most guys on this NG
recommend, which is to buy a Quincy or Ingersoll Rand.

I suggest looking in your area at used industrial compressors.

Ditto, or if not, going to Harbor Freight and buying a Quincy pump to
put on the old, dead Husky setup. HF sells good stuff, too. (Or did.)

--
Mistrust the man who finds everything good, the man who finds everything
evil, and still more the man who is indifferent to everything.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Alex wrote:

I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or bigger air compressor. Can anyone
comment on Husky compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

I shopped metal graveyards (local scrap dealer) for about five years until I
found what I wanted.

I found a thoroughly-holed OLD (old!) 80-gallon horizontal rig with a Quincy
pump on it, for $0.10/lb. About $40.00, IIRC.

$40 bought a very nice, heavily galvanized, 120-gallon vertical
direct-burial propane tank.
About $150 bought regulator, water trap, pop-off valve, gauges, and a new
check valve.

"Free" bought a 5HP Baldor motor with starter, and with a bad bearing. "Shop
says it can't be fixed for what a new one's worth." $12.00 bought a new
bearing. $8.00 one new cap for the motor.

Six or seven hours of welding, fitting, and painting. About two hours to
re-face the pump's valves and seats.

Bottom line was under $300 -- About the price of a brand new Husky from
Home Despots. I'll let you figure out the relative quality and usefulness
of the two. Mine's on 24/7, and never, ever runs unless I'm actually using
air, or forget to pull the blow gun off my line when I'm done. (I simply
_cannot_ find a blow gun that doesn't leak a little ....)

Now, I've got a compressor I'll probably never replace, and fix seldom, with
all standard, off-the-shelf components.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 7 Aug 2007 09:45:51 -0400, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
I shopped metal graveyards (local scrap dealer) for about five years until I
found what I wanted.

I found a thoroughly-holed OLD (old!) 80-gallon horizontal rig with a Quincy
pump on it, for $0.10/lb. About $40.00, IIRC.

$40 bought a very nice, heavily galvanized, 120-gallon vertical
direct-burial propane tank.
About $150 bought regulator, water trap, pop-off valve, gauges, and a new
check valve.

"Free" bought a 5HP Baldor motor with starter, and with a bad bearing. "Shop
says it can't be fixed for what a new one's worth." $12.00 bought a new
bearing. $8.00 one new cap for the motor.

Lloyd, what a great story. My experience fixing a bad 5HP Baldor motor
was about same. $10 in bearings and an hour of work got it done.

You have a very nice compressor with that big tank, etc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

If he is close to California..he can have a decent Champion that is
collecting dust in the back 40. Needs new rod bearings. Simple job.

Gunner

Gunner,

I am in Bay Area.
you email box is not accepting emails. It's probably full.

Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Alex wrote:

I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or bigger air compressor. Can anyone
comment on Husky compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

I shopped metal graveyards (local scrap dealer) for about five years
until I found what I wanted.

I found a thoroughly-holed OLD (old!) 80-gallon horizontal rig with a
Quincy pump on it, for $0.10/lb. About $40.00, IIRC.

Yup, those Quincys are great. I got a well-used Quincy 2-cyl single-stage
compressor that needed very little work to get running at a scrap yard.
It had pneumatic controls, so the motor ran all the time. I changed
that over to unload during start and shut the motor off after a minute
with no more air demand. All I had to get at the compressor shop was an
air filter, a pressure relief and the recommended oil, and it worked
like a champ. I upped the motor from 1 to 2 Hp and changed the pulley
to absorb the 2 Hp. Amazingly, it was actually quieter at 900 RPM than
at 450 (I think the intake valves were bouncing)!

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Well, since everyone is talking used-high end over here, I'll mention old
Kellogg-American, which has proved to be pert-near indestuctible, run even
without oil.

A 5 hp 3 ph, very high cfm, was mistakenly set at *at least* 180 psi for
years (shop air at that time was a veritable *weapon*), and rarely had oil
added, or the sludge removed from the bottom of the very large tank. And
lub-dub quiet, for a big-ish shop compressor.
Said sludge--the awful-est white sticky goop you can imagine--would be
drained from the tank, gallons upon gallons of it, when sed goop started
shooting out of air hoses 50 feet away. goodgawd...
Quite freudian, actually....

Also, I think I'm the baddest em effer in this group, as I got FOUR
quincies!
And, I'd be even badder, iffin any of'em were running.
The g-d flywheels weigh 45 pounds each!

But, if quiet is any indication, the Husky I mentioned is wonderful, as
would be any unit with that head.
C-H indicated to me that they are the one's who indeed make that head, and
supply it to SpeedAire, among others.
I just hope that it is as long-lived as it is quiet.
--
------

Absolutely Vote, but NOT for a Democrat or a Republican.
Ending Corruption in Congress is the *Single Best Way*
to Materially Improve Your Family's Life.
The Solution is so simple--and inexpensive!

all d'numbuhs

"Alex" wrote in message
news
I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or bigger air compressor. Can anyone
comment on Husky compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

Thanks,
Alex

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 10:25:33 -0700, Alex wrote:

If he is close to California..he can have a decent Champion that is
collecting dust in the back 40. Needs new rod bearings. Simple job.

Gunner

Gunner,

I am in Bay Area.
you email box is not accepting emails. It's probably full.

Alex

326 Olive Ave
Taft, California.

Saturdays, Sundays, most mondays.

I have a forklift so I can load you.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 8 Aug 2007 12:46:37 -0400, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:

Well, since everyone is talking used-high end over here, I'll mention old
Kellogg-American, which has proved to be pert-near indestuctible, run even
without oil.

My standby is Kellog. Nice pump. Got it for $100, freshly rebuilt.
120 gal tank.

When I find a 5hp single phase motor..it will become my primary.

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Aug 8, 12:46 pm, "Proctologically Violated©®"
wrote:
[...]

"Alex" wrote in message

news
I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or biggeraircompressor. Can anyone
comment on Husky compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

Thanks,
Alex

Alex, Shopping for a good air compressor is tough for most of us.
Sticker shock is common. My first compressor is a Speedaire from
Grainger. It's only a two HP single phase unit. It is one bullet proof
little unit. I needed more air so I bought a slightly used Devilbiss 5
hp. It is VERY similar to the Sears and Ingersol Rand and others of
the day. They were using ALL aluminum jugs then. Poor longevity. Just
now changing pump on that unit. 10 years is not too bad for 350 bucks.
Back to the point. Based on my experience with the Speedaire unit
I can recommend that brand. But you must realize that with our world
economy; there is no telling where components are made. Just do your
research and buy the best unit you can possibly afford. Although I
cannot recommend this brand; I would check out SAYLOR-BEALL. I am very
impressed with the pump cut-away. And the valves. Had I mot already
bought my new pump; I would have ordered on of theirs.
Hope this helps.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

"Alex" wrote in message

news
[...]

We're sort of in the same boat - our Sears-Roebuck branded (probably
Speedaire) 35-year old compressor is ready for replacement with a larger
unit.

I keep watching craigslist for something in the local area but not much
is available around here (Salem, Oregon area).

I've also surfed eBay and found a seller (eatoncompressor) who appears
to manufacture compressors to order and has great feedback - only
drawback is freight from Ohio, but his listings are very informative.

A current listing is for item 130143183988. Has anyone on this list
bought from this seller?

Carla
If you lend someone $20 and never see that person again, it was probably
worth it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Carla Fong" wrote in message

snip

[...]

There are a few folks on Practical Machinist that have Eaton's and seem to
like them.

Mike

Recommendation George UK diy 1 April 1st 07 09:59 PM
recommendation or not marc rosen Woodturning 2 February 20th 07 06:04 PM
saw recommendation blue Home Repair 16 October 2nd 04 06:08 PM
Need Recommendation cp Home Repair 2 September 2nd 04 05:04 PM
Hot Air Gun - recommendation? Andrew McKay UK diy 11 July 9th 03 01:39 PM