Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Chuck Harris Chuck Harris is offline

Default NON-political, burt FUNNY

D from BC wrote:
On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 15:03:51 -0700, Jim Thompson
wrote:

Had a car battery fail with a shorted cell yesterday.

While sitting in the waiting room for it to be replaced I found this
in a magazine....

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/Cerwin-Vega.jpg

...Jim Thompson

The EXL 1200 D
(ooooo some mysterious high tech name)
is a feature packed
(I pack features to make the PCB smaller.)
mobile amplifier
(Guess is doesn't fall apart from the vibration.)

No, mobile means it is powered off of 12-16V.

that offers the latest technologies in circuit design
(Amp modules that a monkey can get working?)
as well as the performance that today's mobile audio enthusiasts
demand.
(Damn it! I want to drown out the cop sirens behind me.)
EXL 1200D features an unregulated MOSFET power supply.
(It's got resistors too!)
A toroid-coil transformer
(Ok..that's got me... If anyone knows...Boost convertor??)

When you want high power into a speaker load, 12V isn't enough.
So, they have probably boosted the 12V up to 48V - 80V.

[ V = sqrt(P x R), so 100W and 4 ohms - 20V and
1000W and 4 ohms - 63V ]

and Nickel plated RCA and barrier connectors.
(Not that other crummy metal stuff that's used :P)
Protection circuits safeguard
(Botched DIY install and lawsuit protection.)
the amplifier when overheating
(Damn...It cuts out every time I park in the hot sun. :P)
and speaker shorts or improper load conditions occur.
(Wow! I have no fear in hooking it up wrong..)
The Cerwin Vega EXL 1200D retails for $799.95.
($10.00 in amp modules??)

D from BC