Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Self Charlie Self is offline

Default Shop heat

On Aug 18, 8:58 pm, "Greg O" wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message

"Trent" wrote:..
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby.

snip

After natural gas, oil or propane.

Electric strictly for spot heating.

Lew

The answer really depends on your utility costs, natural gas costs, and
propane costs in your area. Here we can get electricity for $0.3/KWH, that
makes it cheaper than any other available source!
Most places I would go with natural gas first, then propane, and buy a
Modine Hot Dag heater, or a Reznor UDAP.
Greg

Yes. Six years ago, we installed propane as a back-up for the heat
pump, to replace the old oil furnace. Bad mistake. Propane is
expensive as hell now, while oil isn't much that much higher and is
simpler to deal with, though it does require $100 annual furnace
cleanings. For a shop, though, where heat needs tend to be
intermittent, propane works decently. I had an electric furnace in my
shop--actually, it's still there, but no longer wired in--that did
fine, if I used the propane heaters to break the chill when it dropped
under something like 15 degrees F. But, and this can be a big question
for ANY kind of electric heat, do you have 60 to 90 amps to spare in
your panel?