Posted to rec.woodworking
Jim Behning Jim Behning is offline

Default Shop heat

On Sat, 18 Aug 2007 21:41:33 -0000, Charlie Self
wrote:

On Aug 18, 7:45 am, "Edwin Pawlowski" wrote:
"Trent" wrote:..
What kind of shop heater would you reccomend?

My shop is 28x32 with 10 foot ceilings. It would have to be electric
for there is no gas line nearby.

Propane. At least where I live. Electricity here is 17¢ a kW making it much
more expensive than any other form of energy.

Holy smoke! I need to check, as the local utility has been really
getting into the swing of screwing the customer--catching up with the
outside world, I guess--but I think we're still in the dime a kWh or
under. It might have jumped to 11 or 12 cents, though.

I was going to recommend the OP take a look at Northern's heaters.
Last winter, they had--don't hold me to the spelling--an Ouilette 240
volt that would heat a goodly space if hung from a ceiling corner. But
if his electricity costs like yours, ugh! I use propane heaters (two
45,000 Btu) to bring it up to toast, and then shut the heat down. I've
been planning on installing one electric corner heater in opposite
corners, because one is not going to be enough. My shop is 25' x 48'
with a near 9' ceiling. Moderately insulated.

We had a 55 gallon barrel wood stove in an uninsulated big enough for
three cars garage in Cleveland Ohio. I guess that was about 900 SF
with no ceilings, just rafters. We could get it pretty warm with a box
fan to blow the heat around.