Posted to alt.home.repair
Dottie Dottie is offline

Default Peeling Paint - door frame

On Aug 17, 1:46 pm, Alex_of_HomeLifeWeekly
wrote:
Hi
I would peel back the paint with a hand scraper try the ones with a
Stanley blade in but be careful not to damage the wood. As the paint
has not adhered so should not be too much of a problem, then rub down
the old paint surface with sand paper to key surface, prime with
correct primer if needed. Paint with oil based paint.

By the way a vacuum cleaner should be able to pick the peeling paint
up off the floor with no problem. I wouldn't use a chemical paint
stripper too much hassle and can be very expensive at least where I
live anyway

Regards

Alexwww.HomeLifeWeekly.com
Smart Tips For Your Home Life

We had a similar problem with this house. The wood trim had been
painted with oil paint so I used Kilz on it before painting with
latex. It lasted a few years and started peeling. Parts of it would
peel off easily and parts would not. I got something from the paint
store (independent one, not Home Depot type) and it's called Painters
Insurance. Don't know what is in it but you mix it one part painter's
insurance with three parts water.
It is clear. I sanded the spots that had come off so it was more
even. Then I put one coat of Painter's Insurance on and let it dry.
Then I repainted ... had to put two coats on where the old stuff came
off. I started putting PI on the other trim before it started peeling
and repainted ... most of it. My neighbor had the same problem. Man
at the store told him he probably had a moisture problem. That could
be part of it....we are in Tampa Bay area and it is always damp here.