Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair
Chris Jones Chris Jones is offline

Default So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

N Cook wrote:

PeteS wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

The debate about lead free solders seem to be nearly as politically

charged as
that about anthropogenic global warming and a casualty seems to be

useful data.
More than political -- the subject could easily be viewed as troll

bait.
It's been 'discussed' many times in ser.

It's not a troll.

New data ought be available as to the effects on actual in-service

reliability of
lead-free by now. It seems as I expected, anecdotally, that musical

equipment
products that tend to see high levels of vibration are suffering.

Graham

This subject came back to bite me yet again today. There's a great part
I wanted to use, but we'll have to refinish the pins first if I do, so
I'll see if there's a different part I can use in this application. For
the record, it's a high speed (not full speed) USB peripheral controller
and the lead finish is 98/2 SnCu.
I consulted with a few of the manufacturing people and one of the
biggest problems with RoHS profiles is the solders aren't eutectic, so
getting a proper bond is more difficult quite apart from the problem
with tin whiskers.

Cheers

PeteS

I think I'll make up a tool for mechanically scraping this "tin-plating"
off the next power tranny.
My first idea is two back to back Skarsten scrapper blades to scrape back
2 sides at one time.

You might find that a tool is already available which works for this
purpose. I'm thinking of the things for scraping the enamel off
transformer winding wi
http://www.buerklin.com/gruppen/KapL/L115880.asp

Chris