Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

Default So what's the truth about lead-free solder ?

On Mon, 30 Jul 2007 06:32:39 -0700 Don Bowey wrote in
Message id: :

On 7/30/07 2:16 AM, in article ,
"Spurious Response" wrote:

[...]

Good thing I do not have to live up to your E-1 grade, petty wuss
assessments, you petty wuss.

You're so nasty I'd have had you given the brush treatment to clean you up.
Or else.....

I'd smack him, but **** splatters.
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair,alt.usenet.kooks

none wrote:

All that for a lame, long-winded IKYABWAI. Sad, really...

Say, why don't you clean yourself up, brush your teeth and go to bed, or
I'll tell your mom you're using the computer after curfew and you still
wet the bed.

Come on! The 'Silly Rabbit' is nothing more than a nervous little
Chihuahua on Cappuccino yapping his fool head off. His mother had the
good sense to sell him to the circus for a quarter the day after he was
hatched.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell
Central Florida
Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

PeteS wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

The debate about lead free solders seem to be nearly as politically

charged as
that about anthropogenic global warming and a casualty seems to be

useful data.
More than political -- the subject could easily be viewed as troll

bait.
It's been 'discussed' many times in ser.

It's not a troll.

New data ought be available as to the effects on actual in-service

reliability of
lead-free by now. It seems as I expected, anecdotally, that musical

equipment
products that tend to see high levels of vibration are suffering.

Graham

This subject came back to bite me yet again today. There's a great part
I wanted to use, but we'll have to refinish the pins first if I do, so
I'll see if there's a different part I can use in this application. For
the record, it's a high speed (not full speed) USB peripheral controller
and the lead finish is 98/2 SnCu.
I consulted with a few of the manufacturing people and one of the
biggest problems with RoHS profiles is the solders aren't eutectic, so
getting a proper bond is more difficult quite apart from the problem
with tin whiskers.

Cheers

PeteS

I think I'll make up a tool for mechanically scraping this "tin-plating" off
the next power tranny.
My first idea is two back to back Skarsten scrapper blades to scrape back 2
sides at one time.

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:

PeteS wrote in message
Eeyore wrote:

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

Eeyore wrote:

[...]

You might find that a tool is already available which works for this
purpose. I'm thinking of the things for scraping the enamel off
transformer winding wi
http://www.buerklin.com/gruppen/KapL/L115880.asp

Chris

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

PeteS wrote:

Eeyore wrote:
Allodoxaphobia wrote:
Eeyore wrote:

[...]

What's the application that requires this refinishing ?

Graham

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

You might find that a tool is already available which works for this
purpose. I'm thinking of the things for scraping the enamel off
transformer winding wi
http://www.buerklin.com/gruppen/KapL/L115880.asp

Chris

But those are RoHS compliant.

More to the point, for removing laquer , not hard tin , from round surface.
I just tried a Skarstan blade , singly, in its normal wooden handle and it
scrapped the hard tin off some of the flat leads of the latest batch of
TIP35C/36C power trannies that I bought. Down to the copper with no
difficulty, I think I can ignore the tin-pest developinmg on the narrow
edges as long as the main surface contact areas are functionally solderable.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England

Posted to sci.electronics.design,sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:

You might find that a tool is already available which works for this
purpose. I'm thinking of the things for scraping the enamel off
transformer winding wi
http://www.buerklin.com/gruppen/KapL/L115880.asp

Chris

But those are RoHS compliant.

More to the point, for removing laquer , not hard tin , from round
surface.

Ok, it was just a thought. I was imagining the round pin of a T03 when I
thought of that.

I just tried a Skarstan blade , singly, in its normal wooden
handle and it scrapped the hard tin off some of the flat leads of the
latest batch of TIP35C/36C power trannies that I bought. Down to the
copper with no difficulty, I think I can ignore the tin-pest developinmg
on the narrow edges as long as the main surface contact areas are
functionally solderable.

Do you mean tin pest or whiskers? I would have thought that the edges would
be the worst place for whiskers to sprout from.

As for solderability, I would have thought that if the pins are exposed to a
sufficient quantity of sufficiently hot SnPb solder for a sufficient time,
then the tin would dissolve into the solder, like fine copper wire has an
annoying tendency to do. If overheating of the semiconductor device is a
risk, then perhaps it could be done in a couple of goes, allowing to cool
in between. The resulting tin-rich solder could either be removed and
replaced with fresh solder, or just diluted with more fresh solder.

I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested if you find a good
technique for small-scale use.

Chris

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

N Cook wrote:

Do you mean tin pest or whiskers? I would have thought that the edges

would
be the worst place for whiskers to sprout from.

As for solderability, I would have thought that if the pins are exposed to

sufficient quantity of sufficiently hot SnPb solder for a sufficient time,
then the tin would dissolve into the solder, like fine copper wire has an
annoying tendency to do. If overheating of the semiconductor device is a
risk, then perhaps it could be done in a couple of goes, allowing to cool
in between. The resulting tin-rich solder could either be removed and
replaced with fresh solder, or just diluted with more fresh solder.

I'm sure there would be plenty of people interested if you find a good
technique for small-scale use.

Chris

With the sort of stuff I deal with, geometry-wise, tin whiskers have no
relevance I would have thought.
It is that film of tin , all lovely mirror shiney when new turning to grotty
dusty grey (tin pest) , expanding in the process , and physically pushing
the solder away from any conduction maybe only 2 years down the road.
I am not sure just heating legs with solder would affect the integrity of
that initial tin film without some sort of mechanical intrusion while hot
and mixing.

--
Diverse Devices, Southampton, England