Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Roger_N Roger_N is offline

Default Wireless Networking

I just bought a Belkin "range extender" access point/repeater for $35. I
configured it as a repeater and it gives me some good signal strength in the
shop. Part of the problem is I'm not sure if my wireless PCI card is
compatible with my Linux PC, I haven't messed with it since I got the
repeater working at ~2AM this morning.

For my wireless link to the cabin about ~800' away, would it work to use an
access point with a directional antenna pointed toward the cabin, then that
access point be wired with a crossover cable to a wireless bridge pointed to
my house wireless router? (like a repeater with directional client/AP
antennas pointed in different directions) At the cabin we would have a
Bridge or wireless adapter pointed toward the house.

Thanks!
Roger N

"Mike Patterson" wrote in message
snip

If you haven't already, you might try moving your wireless router
around, the lathe PC may be in a radio "shadow". Moving the router
just a few inches could fix it. Wall studs, wiring, concrete & brick
all attenuate the signal between transmitter & receiver. A few inches
shift can radically change the total amount of attenuation.

Or it might be easier to relocate the router in the next room closer
to the lathe than to try to get a bridge setup working.

I have a Cisco wireless certification and have done quite a bit of
this kind of thing.

HTH
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." -
Lily Tomlin