Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK RichK is offline

Default Peeling Paint - door frame

"Don Phillipson" wrote in message

1. No, new primer is not likely to penetrate the
old colour coat and adhere to the old primer which
you do not know for sure to be there.

I'm guessing that the sequence was: bare wood, primer, oil-paint, latex (the
layer that is peeling). Whatever is under the latex is very healthy.
Suspect was painted just to refresh.

2. Your questiion is framed as if you were sure the
old colour coat flakes off leaving the old primer safely
adhering. This seems unlikely, unless both (2a) the
old primer was correctly applied and (2b) the old colour
coat was improperly applied (e.g. surface not washed
and sanded beforehand.)

I was wondering if a primer such a KILZ would penetrated the latex layer and
adhere to whatever is under, which is oil-based paint most likely. Since it
appears, I have several interior door in this situation, I want to pick a
method, which would be least painful and at least effective.

You must decide between:
Method A = thorough preparation (scraping or blowtorch
to remove loose paint, then filling and sanding to prepare
a good surface; then quality paint, both primer and colour

Would you use a regular small propane torch to heat the paint? Most places
sell a hairdryer type heat gun, but it seems that it waste most of the heat
and not scorch the paint.

Regards,

RichK