Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] spamTHISbrp@yahoo.com is offline

Default Disassembling a leaded cast iron pumbing joint?

On Aug 17, 8:16 am, wrote:
Greetings all

The house I am currently renovating has a plumbing problem that I need
to correct. Someone in the past hacked a cast iron pipe off within
about 1/2 inch of the hub. The hub is part of a Y-fitting. This is
all 3 inch dia. cast iron. I intend to remove the remaining stub of
pipe and slip a rubber hub coupling into the hub and use 3 in PVC from
the Y-fitting out.

How do I go about removing the short stub of pipe sticking out of the
hub? Under no circumstance do I want to break the hub on the Y-
fitting (this Y-fitting is in the main plumbing stack, in the middle
of a series of fittings assembled end to end).

I have considered using a shortended saws-all blade and making
multiple cuts radially from the inside of the stub outward to the hub,
trying to take the stub out in slivers. I expect that I would have to
tap/beat on 1/2 inch of the stub sticking out of the hub to break the
slivers of the stub pipe free. I also have die grinders at my
disposal but I would be limited to using an electric one since I do
not have a good air source there - and the cut off wheel would be
radial to the hub and not axial. How well will the old lead be bonded
to the cast iron? Will I have to grind it out to remove it. I have a
MAP gas torch used for plumbing but I would think that the cast iron
would be too much of a heat sink to melt the lead. I'm not
considering dragging my oxi-acetaline into the crawl space.

Other suggestions, using tools that a HSM/fabricator might have?

TIA

Maybe drill a small pilot hole in the lead, screw in the screw from a
dent-puller (slide-hammer), and pull out a chunck of the lead/oakum?

If you can get the threads to bite into the oakum, you might pull the
whole ring out by doing this in a few spots.

Dave