Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Patterson Mike Patterson is offline

Default Wireless Networking

On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 10:34:32 -0500, "Roger_N"
wrote:

I have a CNC lathe running with EMC2 under Linux. My home network is on the
East side of my house and my shop is on the West side... the Lathe PC
doesn't get a wireless signal, or at least my laptop doesn't get a reliable
signal when positioned by the lathe. I like having the lathe PC networked
to get updates, look up info, etc. Also it would be nice if in the future I
could get file sharing to work on my network so I can send the CNC files to
the lathe PC. ...And in the future I hope to convert my Anilam Crusader II
CNC Bridgeport to EMC2 control...

snipped
I've been reading up on this lately to try to share my internet connection
with my Linux CNC lathe PC and also to have internet connection sharing out
at a cabin being put up at my pond about 800' away, across a road, and
thought a tree line. Perhaps this info could be useful to others and others
might have info/experience they would want to share.

Thanks!

Roger Neal

If you haven't already, you might try moving your wireless router
around, the lathe PC may be in a radio "shadow". Moving the router
just a few inches could fix it. Wall studs, wiring, concrete & brick
all attenuate the signal between transmitter & receiver. A few inches
shift can radically change the total amount of attenuation.

Or it might be easier to relocate the router in the next room closer
to the lathe than to try to get a bridge setup working.

I have a Cisco wireless certification and have done quite a bit of
this kind of thing.

HTH
Mike
Mike Patterson
Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
"I always wanted to be somebody...I should have been more specific..." - Lily Tomlin