Posted to rec.woodworking
Mike Dobony Mike Dobony is offline

Default Need competent circular saw with safety switch (think tool obsessed toddler)

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:Vbhwi.15513$ZW4.12210@trndny04...

I am currently using a black and decker circular saw for cutting probably
far more than I should with it. Two glaring problems with it.

1. No safety interlock. Just great. I almost crapped my shorts a couple
times picking the thing up with it's over sensitive trigger right where
your only hand-hold is. Jeepers. It's going on craigslist as soon as I
get a new one. 7¼ inch is the current thing. That a useful size?

7¼ inch is the standard size.

2. The metal decking of the thing has give to it. So even when doing a
simple 90° cut, the slightest uneven downward pressure can cause the saw
to make this weird compound angle. Arrrrrgh that is frustrating. I would
love some sort of metal plate on my new saw that does not have any flex to
it at all.

2b. Could anyone please give me a competent blade model too for general
purpose things. BD's Pirrana is what I'm currently using.

Check out Porter Cable, Milwaukee, Makita, Skil Worm drive (NOT the standard
circular saw), and Dewalt. The new kid on the block is Hilti. No comments
on it.