Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Brent Brent is offline

Default Tools, tools, tools

On Aug 16, 1:29 pm, Andy Dingley wrote:
On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:10:17 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

The P51 engine (if that's what it is) would be almost priceless. Heads or
not.

Oh come off it! They're not cheap, but they're hardly "priceless". A
few tens of thousand, depending on model and condition.

If you want a Merlin (Hey, I'm a Brit), there are two dealers for them
and their spares within an hour's drive of my house. And that's not
counting R-R themselves, who are just down the road.

A working airframe ESPECIALLY a lancaster is nearly priceless

A figher with the same engine has a lot less parts and is more "sexy"
than the bomber but the bomber might hold a bigger part in history

I only know of 2 flying Lancasters and a 3rd tht Landed at the
Canadian aviation museum as a working airframe but that will likely
never fly again. Compare that to 200 flying P51's and there is a point
to be made about rarity