Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Brent Brent is offline

Default Tools, tools, tools

On Aug 16, 8:45 pm, "Steve R." **************@**********.*** wrote:
"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

On Thu, 9 Aug 2007 09:10:17 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

The P51 engine (if that's what it is) would be almost priceless. Heads or
not.

Oh come off it! They're not cheap, but they're hardly "priceless". A
few tens of thousand, depending on model and condition.

If you want a Merlin (Hey, I'm a Brit), there are two dealers for them
and their spares within an hour's drive of my house. And that's not
counting R-R themselves, who are just down the road.

One possible problem. The P51 used a Packard Merlin. As far as I know, many
parts were not interchangeable with the RR Merlin.

Steve R.

--
Return address munged to bugger up spammers

From what i read when packard got the merlin they did modify elements

to make it more mass producible and more serviceabble but that the
changes were sent back to RR and incorporated into later merlins

That having said you might be right on an early war merlin (hurricane
or early spitfire) that the parts from a packard merlin might not be
interchangeable

But thats why the machinist exists right? To MTFTW (Make the F%$&ing
thing work)

Brent
Ottawa Canada