Posted to rec.woodworking
dpb dpb is offline

Default Delta Jointer 37-220

wrote:
And I don't follow "swinging" as a description of a normal movement on
jointer fence, either, but I'll presume you're talking about the angle
of the fence wrt the table surface. I would call that a rotation. If
you're asking about how to lock the fence in position, as the manual
describes, it is a two-function handle. The rear acorn nut locks the
angle of fence to the table while the handle in the most forward
position tightens the slide against the bracket to lock the fence in
position. When adjusted correctly and tight, the fence will be rigid.
If that isn't the case, something isn't adjusted correctly or perhaps
you don't have all the original pieces of the fence mount or something's
broken or...

I'll check tomorrow when I'm home. It maybe that the
locking mechanism is worn or that piece might be missing, tho
other than the spring for the guard, the machine appears
to be intact.

More likely the adjustment isn't correct so it doesn't clamp tight. W/
my slow dialup I didn't wait for all the pdf doc to load so didn't see
the blownup diagram so not positive the exact details of the locking
mechanism on that fence. The old Craftsman I had had a jamb nut that
had to be at the proper distance for the handle to catch it and lock
tightly. I presume this is similar. It may be the mounting bolt needs
to be brought in closer or similar. Whatever it is, the secret is in
that adjustment -- there's nothing else required to lock the fence
rigidly for use...