Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Bill is offline

Default Wireless Networking

"Roger_N" wrote in
:

snip
Anyway, I've been searching and reading and here's what I have come up
with so far. I can get a wireless bridge that I plug into my lathe
PC's Ethernet port and position it to where it picks up a good signal
(by a window). I like this solution because I know my ethernet card
works on my Linux PC, I'm not sure what would be involved in getting a
USB network adapter working with the Linux I'm running. So if I can
configure a wireless bridge and run a network cable to it, I should be
in business.

snip

I just went through something similar with a Thin Client using PClinuxOS,
the original WinCE worked fine with a usb wireless adapter but the version
of explorer was severly limited as to be useless so I went with PClinuxOS
which would run on the limited hardware. For the unit to work so in
desperation I got an AirStation125 High Power Wireless Ethernet Converter,
a wireless bridge, it worked flawlessly and was simple to hook into the
existing wireless system. I got it from Provantage

http://www.provantage.com/buffalo-te...p~7BFLO025.htm

it cost around 55 bucks with 5 shipping. Nice unit and it gave me an easy
way to hook up a networked printer located at the same spot as the thin
client. I have it running WEP with mac address filters on the router it
talks to, that and turning off the 'Hello I'm here' function on the router
gives me enough security. It also does WPA but I have a couple of hand
helds that wont so for now I'm stuck with WEP.

Bill