Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
Dana Dana is offline

Default How to clean up mains power?

"DLR" wrote in message
. ..
Esther & Fester Bestertester wrote:
Your claim is true, if and only if, you are talking about a double
conversion UPS. The normal line interactive backup UPS (the type you
were referring to) has no more surge protection in it than one of
those cheap power boards.

Hogwash, of course the UPS I am talking about is part of a power system.
Hence you are the one who is wrong. Using a power strip alone, will
barely protect equipment from line surges. Using a UPS will protect from
line surges as well as more importantly keep your equipment running
during a line outage. No power strip will provide power during a line
outage.

It might just be me, but does it sound like these two are arguing the
same point...?

FBt

No, the "hogwash" fellow doesn't understand that the UPS units that cost
under $200

I am not talking about UPS's that cost under 500.
The UPS's I am talking about are not typically used at home, or in very
small companies.

are basically a surge strip followed by a solid state switch that switches
to battery power when the source gets too bad. And that many "good" surge
strips are better at surge protection than what is built into low end UPS
units.

And again, even for home use, a power strip does not provide power when
there is an outage, for you to think otherwise is silly.