Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] brucedpaige@gmail.com is offline

Default Threads question

On 15 Aug 2007 20:00:31 GMT, (DoN. Nichols)
wrote:

According to Don Foreman :
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 21:23:03 -0500, "Don Young"
wrote:

"SteveB" wrote in message

[ ... ]

That is a common way to make a universal release which will sorta fit
various differing cameras. Most of the dedicated ones I have seen had
straight threads and I have never seen a camera with a tapered socket,
though they may exist.

[ ... ]

I think that was an ISO standard at one time, may still be. I have
several (old) 35mm SLR film cameras (Canon, 2xPentax, Praktica) that
use a cable release with tapered threads.

The Nikon F also used the same threads -- but via an adaptor.
The shutter release was inside a cylindrical protector which rotated
about 90 degrees to lock or unlock the button, and there was a male
thread on a collar around the button but inside the protector. You
thread the adaptor onto that, and it positions a cable release above the
shutter release button. But the button requires more force than the
internal cable release socket normally needed, so long (e.g. 10 foot or
greater) cable releases were a problem with all of that cable friction.

Note that the same adaptor also worked on some versions of the
Miranda SLRs -- before they started adding a cable shutter release
socket in the body under a threaded cover. You had to unscrew the
protective ring from around the shutter release button to expose the
threads for the adaptor.

The adaptor looks somewhat like a half-size thimble, if you are
looking for one.

Enjoy,
DoN.

I just went and looked at two Nikon view camera lenses and they both
have tapered threads in the shutter release. In addition,in my drawer
of "camera bits" I found two shutter release cables with tapered
threads. Certainly at one time they were as common as dirt as I
certainly don't remember having any problem in locating them.

If that is what you are looking at try locating a camera shop that
deals in professional cameras and give them a call.

Bruce in Bangkok
(brucepaigeATgmailDOTcom)