Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

Default Roofing Question

A ridge vent should be obvious from the ground even if it is a nail over
type as most are these days.

Inspectors are mostly useless in my experience.

After you get that fixed make sure you have adquate soffit vents.

"Dottie" wrote in message
ps.com...
I had a new roof installed and one of the changes made at that time
(to make it stronger in case of hurricane) was to cover the vents at
each end of the attic with plywood. The old tile roof was removed and
a new shingle roof with ridge vent was put on. The house has seemed
hotter than before but my neighbor said her house was cooler after the
same changes. Today I got on the ladder and looked up at the attic.
Where the ridge vent is supposed to be - I can see about an inch and a
half on each side of the gable that has no wood....but I can see
black. It is either the tar paper (felt) or the shingle. I think I
should be able to see the mesh of the ridge vent. Before I make a
call and complain about this, I need to know more. Is it possible
they left off the ridge vent and just covered it with shingle?

It was inspected and passed inspection....would something like this
be apparent to an inspector? Anyway I can tell just by looking? I am
far too old to actually climb up in the attic.
Thanks.