Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing Question

I had a new roof installed and one of the changes made at that time
(to make it stronger in case of hurricane) was to cover the vents at
each end of the attic with plywood. The old tile roof was removed and
a new shingle roof with ridge vent was put on. The house has seemed
hotter than before but my neighbor said her house was cooler after the
same changes. Today I got on the ladder and looked up at the attic.
Where the ridge vent is supposed to be - I can see about an inch and a
half on each side of the gable that has no wood....but I can see
black. It is either the tar paper (felt) or the shingle. I think I
should be able to see the mesh of the ridge vent. Before I make a
call and complain about this, I need to know more. Is it possible
they left off the ridge vent and just covered it with shingle?

It was inspected and passed inspection....would something like this
be apparent to an inspector? Anyway I can tell just by looking? I am
far too old to actually climb up in the attic.
Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Art Art is offline

A ridge vent should be obvious from the ground even if it is a nail over
type as most are these days.

Inspectors are mostly useless in my experience.

After you get that fixed make sure you have adquate soffit vents.

"Dottie" wrote in message
ps.com...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 1:19 pm, "Art" wrote:
A ridge vent should be obvious from the ground even if it is a nail over
type as most are these days.

Inspectors are mostly useless in my experience.

After you get that fixed make sure you have adquate soffit vents.

"Dottie" wrote in message

ps.com...

[...]

I do have soffit vents. I am trying to find out what kind of ridge
vent was used. I talked to a man in the building dept. and he said
that there are new ridge vents that have been approved that are not
wire mesh kind. They are made out of a "breathable" foamlike material
that may appear to be a "fat shingle" from the attic side. I am
trying to get in touch with the person who inspected my roof to see if
he remembers anything about it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 3:08 pm, Dottie wrote:
On Aug 15, 1:19 pm, "Art" wrote:

A ridge vent should be obvious from the ground even if it is a nail over
type as most are these days.

Inspectors are mostly useless in my experience.

After you get that fixed make sure you have adquate soffit vents.

"Dottie" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

My ridge vent is black, and is a molded plastic type. It sits up
pretty high, but I wanted function over beauty. There are styles that
resemble a long, black, "scotch-brite" pad. That may be what you
have.

JK

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 15, 10:17 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Aug 15, 3:08 pm, Dottie wrote:

On Aug 15, 1:19 pm, "Art" wrote:

A ridge vent should be obvious from the ground even if it is a nail over
type as most are these days.

Inspectors are mostly useless in my experience.

After you get that fixed make sure you have adquate soffit vents.

"Dottie" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I found out that mine is a Cobra ridge vent. I saw one up close and
it doesn't look like what I expected. Anyway, I was told by the man
who installed it that that was the kind I have. It is made out of the
"breathable" stuff and is not rigid the way I had expected. From the
bottom it just looks black.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote in
oups.com:

On Aug 15, 10:17 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Aug 15, 3:08 pm, Dottie wrote:

On Aug 15, 1:19 pm, "Art"
wrote:

A ridge vent should be obvious from the ground even if it is a
nail over type as most are these days.

Inspectors are mostly useless in my experience.

After you get that fixed make sure you have adquate soffit vents.

"Dottie" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

The attic air dows not go out and straight up. It goes out the sides of
the vent. The top if the ridge vent is covered to keep weather out. You
go up there on a hot day near the ridge vent. As hot as the roof is
you'll feel hoter air near the ridge vent.

Here's an animated airflow of how it works. Probably take forever on
dial-up.

http://www.easy2diy.com/cm/easy/diy_...ge_id=35720118

Here is how Cobra is properly installed:
http://www.gaf.com/Content/Documents/20402.pdf
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Aug 17, 10:20 pm, Al Bundy wrote:
Dottie wrote groups.com:

On Aug 15, 10:17 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Aug 15, 3:08 pm, Dottie wrote:

On Aug 15, 1:19 pm, "Art"
wrote:

A ridge vent should be obvious from the ground even if it is a
nail over type as most are these days.

Inspectors are mostly useless in my experience.

After you get that fixed make sure you have adquate soffit vents.

"Dottie" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

Do you know if the Cobra has some black and foamy inside? Yesterday
when I was shown a Cobra ridge vent, I did not see what I saw on the
GAF website....no metal pieces. I only saw the black foamy stuff ....
now I have to wonder did I get scammed or does this foamy looking
stuff go under the metal piece. Thanks.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote groups.com:

On Aug 15, 10:17 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Aug 15, 3:08 pm, Dottie wrote:

On Aug 15, 1:19 pm, "Art"
wrote:

A ridge vent should be obvious from the ground even if it is a
nail over type as most are these days.

Inspectors are mostly useless in my experience.

After you get that fixed make sure you have adquate soffit vents.

"Dottie" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

One of my neighbors was kind enough to go up on the roof and look. I
do not have the Cobra vent. I have some foamy plastic stuff. The
foamy plastic does pass the building code here ... but what I need to
know now is 1. Is it as effective as the Cobra ridge vent 2. Is there
a big difference in price The contract specifically calls for the
Cobra. Any help would be appreciated. I don't want to be a PITA for
the roofer but I can't really afford to have unusually high a/c bills
either. I want to do the best I can to cut back on electricity.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Dottie wrote groups.com:

On Aug 15, 10:17 pm, Big_Jake wrote:
On Aug 15, 3:08 pm, Dottie wrote:

On Aug 15, 1:19 pm, "Art"
wrote:

A ridge vent should be obvious from the ground even if it is a
nail over type as most are these days.

Inspectors are mostly useless in my experience.

After you get that fixed make sure you have adquate soffit vents.

"Dottie" wrote in message

ups.com...

[...]

I have found out that what I have is a Cobra Ridge Vent (exhausts) but
it is not rigid. Still - have to live with it.

Roofing Question Clueless Mary Home Repair 72 July 9th 07 05:32 PM
roofing question Andy Burns UK diy 13 August 23rd 06 05:42 AM
roofing question SeaKan Home Repair 4 March 25th 06 04:57 PM
Question about roofing [email protected] Home Repair 9 July 23rd 05 05:17 AM