Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Threads question

According to Nick Hull :
In article ,
Don Foreman wrote:

How about a little solenoid? You could then use wire of arbitrary
length as your "cable". You might find suitable small solenoids at
the junkyard in auto trunk releases, door locks, etc. Wouldn't be at
all hard to make one if you have a lathe.

The problem with a lot of solenoids is that they shake the camera
at the wrong time

But not all. I have one which operates a cable release, so it
gets some isolation from the camera. (You may want a second tripod for
it to keep the isolation going. :-)

There are also tiny solenoids which screw directly into the
cable release socket. (They were used with the bulb flash unit on 4x5
cameras like the Speed Graphic -- to trigger the shutter under control
of a switch in the typical Kalart flash gun -- with with the gun hand
held and separate from the camera body -- just to minimize shake.)

But again -- if this is a camera like the D40x -- go for a
separate plug-in electrical remote, since the camera does not have a
cable release socket, and the shutter release button takes a lot more
force than most cable releases are happy to provide.

Unfortunately, my D70 was made just before the remote socket
became standard, and just has provisions for an IR remote.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564