Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
N7ZZT - Eric Oyen N7ZZT - Eric Oyen is offline

Default How to clean up mains power?

now here is someone who has done some valid research (thank you!).

Some of us in the Ham radio corps (like me) tend to "over do it" on
grounding (for fairly obvious reasons). so far, that over engineering on my
part has saved a lot more than would have ordinarily been the case. still,
I should referr everyone back to my "defense in depth" proposal.

Again, thank you for the timely (and useful) info Bud--.

DE N7ZZT
Eric Oyen

bud-- wrote:

The IEEE guide explains plug-in suppressors work by CLAMPING the voltage
on all wires (signal and power) to the common ground at the suppressor.
Plug-in suppressors do not work primarily by earthing (or stopping or
absorbing) . The guide explains earthing occurs elsewhere. (Read the
guide starting pdf page 40). UPSs may or may not have the same surge
suppression.

Note that all interconnected equipment needs to be connected to the same
plug-in suppressor, or interconnecting wires need to go through the
suppressor. External connections, like phone, also need to go through
the suppressor. Connecting all wiring through the suppressor prevents
damaging voltages between power and signal wires (including induced from
nearby strikes). These multiport suppressors are described in both guides.

According to NIST guide, US insurance information indicates equipment
most frequently damaged by lightning is
computers with a modem connection
TVs, VCRs and similar equipment (presumably with cable TV
connections).
All can be damaged by high voltages between power and signal wires.

--
bud--