Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Steel suggestion for draw bar requested.

According to Wes :
Errol Groff wrote:

I repaired a number of 5C drawbars using 4130 tubing from Aircraft
Spruce and Specialty. http://www.aircraftspruce.com/

That will work, they sell it by the foot which is much better than buying 6
feet of it, the majority of which I'll never use. I'll be single pointing
it, I have the bar and indexable insert for threading id's.

I changed the spindle in my 12x24" Clausing from 2-1/4x8
threaded to L-00. The L-00 is a bit longer, so I had to extend the
drawtube. I simply turned it from 12L14 (IIRC) to thread into the
existing drawtube and to accept the collet. The extension is Loctited
into the original drawtube, and has served me well for years now.

Try *all* of your collet-threaded devices just in case one of
them is slightly oversized -- *before* you unchuck it. DAMHIKT. :-)

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564