Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default Threads question

According to Don Foreman :
On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 10:04:00 -0600, "SteveB"
wrote:

They even have one that is thirty feet long that is a squeeze air bulb. I
think I'll be getting one over the Internet, but am looking at camera stores
now, as I shop the Nikon D40x currently on promotion from Nikon.

I photograph hummingbirds, and the rufous is particularly shy, so a longer
shutter release will get me farther away from the subject.

Steve

How about a little solenoid? You could then use wire of arbitrary
length as your "cable".

For that matter -- I believe that the D40x has a connector for a
remote control. You might have to cut and extend the cable. I think
that it is three conductor -- a common, a contact for the "half press"
to cause the camera to autofocus (if you are letting it do that), and a
final contact for the "full press" which actually takes the photo. The
"half-press" is probably needed to wake the camera up anyway, even if
you have autofocus disabled.

And -- the D40x (if it is anything like my D70) does *not* have
a standard cable release socket -- all remote work is either optical (IR
remote transmitter) or electrical (cable and switch which plug into the
camera body).

But I may have lost track, and the OP did not state that he was
using a D40x -- but in that case, whoever is should beware of this
limitation.

Good luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564