Posted to rec.woodworking
Leon Leon is offline

Default Need competent circular saw with safety switch (think tool obsessed toddler)

"Thomas G. Marshall" . com
wrote in message news:Vbhwi.15513$ZW4.12210@trndny04...

I am currently using a black and decker circular saw for cutting probably
far more than I should with it. Two glaring problems with it.

1. No safety interlock. Just great. I almost crapped my shorts a couple
times picking the thing up with it's over sensitive trigger right where
your only hand-hold is. Jeepers. It's going on craigslist as soon as I
get a new one. 7¼ inch is the current thing. That a useful size?

You might want to rethink that. You have now publicly documented that your
saw has a safety issue. In this sue happy society you may be held
resposable if some one cuts their finger off.

2. The metal decking of the thing has give to it. So even when doing a
simple 90° cut, the slightest uneven downward pressure can cause the saw
to make this weird compound angle. Arrrrrgh that is frustrating. I would
love some sort of metal plate on my new saw that does not have any flex to
it at all.

2b. Could anyone please give me a competent blade model too for general
purpose things. BD's Pirrana is what I'm currently using.

I would look at any of the better brand saws. If you want really nice and a
more precise cutting saw, consider the Festool, but not for common
construction type cutting.