Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Threads question

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 00:12:17 -0600, SteveB wrote:

I posted this to alt.photography, but someone here might be able to help me,
too.

I need a nut for a shutter release. The shutter release has a tapered cone
shaped threaded end. I think I can find a nut that fits "close enough" to
hold what has to hold, and I can put a drop of Loctite or SuperGlue Gel on
there. Where would I even look for a tapered nut?

It makes me curious, though, as to how they would tap a tapered hole, as you
go in, it would become harder until you reach the snap point.

Steve ....... may the sporge be with you..........

That seems to be a standard thread, at least in the photography world.
I'd do some web searches (or reword my question) to find the correct
dimensions.

If I recall correctly the female thread isn't tapered as sharply as the
male, but it's been a long time since I looked. Certainly with pipe
threads the hole is straight and the pipe is tapered. Pipe dies are made
to cut the correct taper, or you can cut the threads on a lathe by turning
between centers with the work set over, or by using a taper attachment on
the lathe. The taper on a shutter release is pretty sharp, so I would
assume it'd have to be done with the right die, possible on a tapered
blank, or it would have to be done with a taper attachment.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com