Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
Al Dykes Al Dykes is offline

Default How to clean up mains power?

In article .com,
w_tom wrote:
On Aug 13, 10:45 am, (Al Dykes) wrote:
Any name-brand UPS will have genuine surge protection. A power strip
will have, at most, MOV chips that handle spikes and little else.

Cite manufacuture specs that claim that protection. You cannot.
Entire protection circuit in a plug-in UPS is the same circuit inside
power strip protectors. But again, where do they list each type of
surge and numbers that define that protection? They do not which is
why you do not cite spec numbers.

A real surge protection circuit has iron and copper and multiple metal
oxide varistors (MOV). Weight counts, and the parts cost money.

Here's an illustration of a "better" powerstrip with small inductors,
caps, and MOV chips.

http://www.answers.com/topic/surge-s...cat=technology

Here is a much better surge protector that weighs about 3 pounds. The
heavy part is iron-core inductors.

http://www.apc.com/resource/include/...e_sku=PR11T3V2

There is also "whole house" protection that an electrician can install
in the main panel.
http://www.smarthome.com/4860.html

IMO, anyone that doesn't put the server and core comm gear on a good
UPS is an idiot.

What we do at the desktops depends.

In large buildings where all the utility wire is below-ground, it
might be nothing. In surburbia with above-ground power, I'd put a
whole-house protector in the panel and a "better" powerstrip under
each PC.

--
a d y k e s @ p a n i x . c o m