Posted to rec.woodworking
dadiOH dadiOH is offline

Default How to lighten wood

wrote:
We have oak kitchen cabinets that are stained to a medium dark
color. I would like to keep those but change the color to a bright
birch-like tone.
What I have tried is applying a refinishing solution (Minwax
refinisher) which removed the varnish and some grease. Next I added
two coats of AB bleach resulting in a pale whitish appearance-
texture looks bland but brightness is okay. Then to finish it I put
on some Minwax Rub-on-poly. This,however, seems to undo 80% of the
bleach so I end up with wood that's just a tiny bit lighter than
what I started out with. Before that I tried some other rub on
finish which completely undid the bleaching. How then can I get
lighter wood that looks nice and has a finish ?

1. Take some light colored oil paint and thin it 50/50 with thinner.

2. Wipe the paint mixture onto the wood then immediately wipe off all
you can.

3. Top coat with whatever. Water based poly has no inherent color,
nor does lacquer.

Be sure to get the paint mix onto all of the wood...if you miss a spot
that area will be colored (darkened) by the top coat. The paint mix
keeps the wood light not by being a light color but by sealing the
wood and preventing it being wetted out by the top coat; not to worry,
the top coat will stick just fine.

The final wood color will be very similar to that of the raw wood;
however, the wood will darken some with time just as would the raw
wood.

--

dadiOH

dadiOH's dandies v3.06...