Posted to rec.woodworking
[email protected] grubertm@gmail.com is offline

Default How to lighten wood

On Aug 13, 1:25 pm, "Toller" wrote:
I am assuming your rub-on-poly is oil based. Waterbased will generally look
pretty much the same after as it did before; while oilbased will, depending
on the wood, darken it considerably.

Yes, it is oil-based. I used some water based polyurethane in a
previous project and had similar darkening happen. But I will give it
another go.

How do you use Minwas refinisher? I have a post a few down from you about
stripping a black coating from bamboo...

How did I use it ? According to the directions- I cleaned the wood,
then rubbed the finisher in with steelwool, followed by another round
of wiping it off with clean steelwool and a tack cloth.