Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default Finally good solution of "how to store 625 tools for 12 years"

Ignoramus10724 wrote:
If you recall, I asked about storage options for my 625 Signode
banding cutters, which I am planning on selling over the next 12 years
(which is what once per week works out to).

Right now I have them in Walmart plastic totes, which do not inspire
confidence. There are puddles of water on top of covers, as soon as
they develop cracks, the water will be inside and thousands of $$ will
be ruined (the cutters sell for about $15 apiece).

Today, I bought a 24x24x48" Greenless steel "gang box" at a garage
sale. I am going to add casters to it.

I may add some very low power heating element to it as well (I have
some Raychem heating cable) to add extra heat. My guess is about 20
watts should accomplish a lot. Naturally, I will have desiccant packs
in the box as well.

This gang box is going to hold up to elements very well over the
years.

This makes a lot more sense. If you can put some seals on the
thing to make it nearly hermetic, you can put a couple big
dessicant packs inside. Keep a couple weeks worth of the
cutters in the house, so you only need to open the big box once
every couple weeks. When you do, rotate the dessicant packs
with others you have been drying in your oven.

Jon