Posted to alt.home.repair
Al Bundy Al Bundy is offline

Default Toilet Tank Bolts -- Frozen - Removal

Paul Franklin wrote in
news
On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:15:37 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

Toilet has been in place since 1970 - 37 years.

Needs to be dis- assembled and removed for floor work and painting
of walls.

One tank bolt (brass nut, brass bolt) spun off as free and easy as
you could want.

Other one is very tight against underside of bowl flange, though you
can get a box wrench on it. Wont budge at all, whether I try to turn
the nut wih the box wrench r he bl with the real big screwdriver.

Before I try to work a Dremel cutter in there to split the nut,
(I'd really rather not be lying on the floor looking up at the nut,
even with the eye protection, trying to grind through the nut
and not screw up the bowl flange) has anybody got any
ideas on what might loosen this thing up?

Thanks in advance.

I usually use a hacksaw to cut through the bolt between the tank and
the base. Normally there's enough clearance to use a regular hacksaw,
but if not, I just use the blade with one of those single ended
holders. Or you can wrap the end of the blade in duct tape to make a
temporary handle. Best to use a fine pitch blade. Takes 2 minutes
tops.

HTH,

Paul

Takes 2 minutes tops.

I've never been able to get it in under 2:07. Amateur I guess... :-)