Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
Dana Dana is offline

Default How to clean up mains power?

"DLR" wrote in message
.. .
Michael A. Terrell wrote:

The last place I worked was having excessive failures on the
production floor, and erratic computer problems all over the building. I
looked into one of the breaker boxes and told them what was wrong. They
told me I didn't know what I was talking about, that the wiring was done
to code.

Wired to code is a safety issue. Clean power isn't really addressed by the
code except where too small a wire would cause a voltage drop.

Wiring to code is more than just safety, it also prevents ground loops and
improper grounding and neutrals, which can lead to all kinds of sporatic
problems.

And yes the double conversion UPS is best. I treat the others as something
to use and hope the computer doesn't turn off when the power drops for a
bit. Other than that the surge protection they have in them is about the
same as the power strip you get at Staples.

Every time we've had "strange" computer issues and I've gotten the office
to go with said "good" UPS setups, the strange has vanished. And usually
the money spent was way less than the total diagnostic route. Around here
and in many parts of the country getting the power company's help in such
issues is an almost hopeless task. They put on their DVM that the linemen
carry on their belt and if it reads between 110 and 125 (or whatever the
allowed range is) they declare victory and leave.

But yes we do first check for obvious stuff in the breaker box, shared
breakers with the offset press, old wiring that's failing, etc...

David