Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet

Default How to clean up mains power?

On Aug 10, 11:42 am, SparkyGuy wrote:
http://apc.com/tools/ups_selector/

There seems to be 2 kinds of UPSs: those that switches to battery backup if
power drops below a minimum voltage; and those that separate the load from
the supply ("double conversion" type). This latter type is, basically, a
battery charger running an inverter it's *always" in baclup mode (c: .

It seems that the double-conversion type is truly the only kind that can
isolate equipment from "bad" power. All else relies on filtering and fast
switching from grid-supplied power to inverter power. (We pray in fast
relays!)

Am I right in thinking that a double-conversion model is the best for our
needs (our problem being dirty power, not power-fail)?

Sparky

(Double-conversion models start near $500. Ouch!)

Sparky is correct!!!!!!

H. R. Hofmann