Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet
Jamie Jamie is offline

Default How to clean up mains power?

SparkyGuy wrote:

We're having to reset our office network at least once a day. it locks up and
only a power cycle will get things going again.

We've replaced the router and the DSL modem. No joy. Firmware is up-to-date.
The neighboring office manager says that they are experiencing similar
issues. The building is old and will be bulldozed within a year (60's/70's
vintage wiring).

How can we confirm or eliminate the power as the culprit? Would like to take
steps to filter the mains power rather than measure it (ie, strip chart
recorder) because I'm certain that it's the culprit, and spending a few $$ on
cleaning up the power is $$ well spent, IMHO.

The current power strip powering the network devices -- DSL modem, Ethernet
network router/switch (no wireless) -- has integral surge protection but
nothing more.

All suggestions are welcome.

Sparky

Mine does that now and then but it's caused by a connected computer that
went off line in the middle of doing some networking that didn't
complete. the Router never times out on it and hogs the BW to a point
where the router may just stop.
First indication is, things starting to move slowly through the
router with out any apparent activity giving reason for slow up to the
point where things may start timing out on you.
etc..

Real Programmers Do things like this.
http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5