Posted to alt.home.repair
willshak willshak is offline

Default A/C problems

on 8/10/2007 1:15 PM said the following:
On Aug 10, 11:28 am, "JohnnyC" wrote:

Bad thermostat ??

"willshak" wrote in message

on 8/10/2007 11:48 AM said the following:

I am having a problem with A/C unit at home. WHen I cut it on it will
come on and cool the house, but the thermostat temp does not go down
causing the unit to run contstanly. Any ideas what the problem is????

Thanks

Is the thermostat located where the cool air can reach it?
Do you have a TV, or other heat producing item under, or close to, the
thermostat?

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY

If the thermostat doesn't go down with the room temp, then something
is wrong with the thermostat.

Not always. I have a thermostat that is mounted on the wall in my family
room. The family room is heat zoned with the laundry room and 1/2 bath.
In the winter, if I set the thermostat to 72º F and the room is 68º or
so, the heat will not come on in that zone. Why? Because directly under
the thermostat is the basement installed furnace in a utility room, and
the ambient heat from the furnace rises up the wall behind the
thermostat, warming the thermostat and getting its heat reading from the
wall rather than the air in the room. I have to allow for this by
raising the thermostat to a higher reading to warm the zone. The same
would happen if you were to turn on a TV under the thermostat,
especially the new Plasma TVs, or an incandescent or halogen table lamp,
and you don't mount thermostats over baseboard heat sources.

If it's electronic, try removing the
batteries for an hour, make sure the batteries are good, and then
retry. Some also have a reset button accessible from the back, etc.

--

Bill
In Hamptonburgh, NY