Posted to sci.electronics.equipment,sci.electronics.repair,comp.dcom.lans.ethernet

Default How to clean up mains power?

Al Dykes wrote:

In article .net,
SparkyGuy wrote:
We're having to reset our office network at least once a day. it locks up and
only a power cycle will get things going again.

We've replaced the router and the DSL modem. No joy. Firmware is up-to-date.
The neighboring office manager says that they are experiencing similar
issues. The building is old and will be bulldozed within a year (60's/70's
vintage wiring).

How can we confirm or eliminate the power as the culprit? Would like to take
steps to filter the mains power rather than measure it (ie, strip chart
recorder) because I'm certain that it's the culprit, and spending a few $$ on
cleaning up the power is $$ well spent, IMHO.

The current power strip powering the network devices -- DSL modem, Ethernet
network router/switch (no wireless) -- has integral surge protection but
nothing more.

All suggestions are welcome.

Sparky

IMO, If you think you have power problems, you need to spend a few
bucks on professional advice before you spend bucks on hardware. Call
an electrician.

Don't waste your time. Call your electric company and ask them to
loan you a test set to monitor and log your power line.

The last place I worked was having excessive failures on the
production floor, and erratic computer problems all over the building. I
looked into one of the breaker boxes and told them what was wrong. They
told me I didn't know what I was talking about, that the wiring was done
to code. So, they called in the industrial electricians who wired the
building. They walked around removing breaker box covers, scratching
their asses, then sticking the covers back on.

Their final report was, 'We don't see nothing wrong.' Our problem
was found by the utility company, and proven by using the monitor. The
building was 25 years old, and used the then allowed two gauges smaller
neutral three phase system. The harmonics caused by lots of switching
power supplies cause high currents in the neutral, which causes heating
and erratic equipment shutdowns. The neutrals were supplemented with
larger neutrals, to make it equivalent to two gauges larger. 99 % of
our problems went away.

prove it.
Member of DAV #85.

Michael A. Terrell