Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert Ross Herbert is offline

Default How to clean up mains power?

On Fri, 10 Aug 2007 01:19:40 -0700, SparkyGuy
wrote:

We're having to reset our office network at least once a day. it

locks up and
only a power cycle will get things going again.

We've replaced the router and the DSL modem. No joy. Firmware is

up-to-date.
The neighboring office manager says that they are experiencing

similar
issues. The building is old and will be bulldozed within a year

(60's/70's
vintage wiring).

How can we confirm or eliminate the power as the culprit? Would like

to take
steps to filter the mains power rather than measure it (ie, strip

chart
recorder) because I'm certain that it's the culprit, and spending a

few $$ on
cleaning up the power is $$ well spent, IMHO.

The current power strip powering the network devices -- DSL modem,

Ethernet
network router/switch (no wireless) -- has integral surge protection

but
nothing more.

All suggestions are welcome.

Sparky

Taking a guess is not the smart way to do it - you really do have to
take measurements to determine the source of your problems. Wiring
installed in the 60's - 70's will still be fine providing the design
You can make a few assumptions based on local knowledge of the
building environment though, such as;

Are there any industrial premises such as welding shops or heavy
machinery shops with large electric motors nearby or in the same
building? These installations can be a prime source of power surges
and power line 'noise' which will affect computer/data installations.

Are the computer terminals powered from a separate ac circuit provided
specifically for that purpose? If the ac supply to any or all of the
IT equipment is also shared with general office equipment or other
electrical equipment which produces voltage sags or 'noise', then this
can also affect the situation. Faulty fluoro lighting or even a faulty
electric heating element on the same ac circuit as IT equipment can
cause problems.

Provided that the ac supply into the building main distribution board
and to any sub distribution boards feeding your work area are properly
designed and there are no loose connections, then static power line
conditioner may solve the problem eg.
http://www.lineguard.com.my/splc.htm

It may be necessary to go to a fully automatic power line stabilizer
such as those here
http://www.tsipower.com/Automatic-Voltage-Regulator.htm

If you adopt either of these systems then it does not avoid the
requirement to properly distribute the ouput supply to your IT
equipment i accordance with normal wiring standards. Whatever you do,
it won't be cheap to clean up an already 'dirty' ac supply.