Posted to alt.home.repair
jJim McLaughlin jJim McLaughlin is offline

Default Toilet Tank Bolts -- Frozen - Removal

Oren wrote:
On Thu, 09 Aug 2007 13:15:37 -0700, jJim McLaughlin
wrote:

Toilet has been in place since 1970 - 37 years.

Needs to be dis- assembled and removed for floor work and painting
of walls.

One tank bolt (brass nut, brass bolt) spun off as free and easy as
you could want.

Other one is very tight against underside of bowl flange, though you
can get a box wrench on it. Wont budge at all, whether I try to turn
the nut wih the box wrench r he bl with the real big screwdriver.

Before I try to work a Dremel cutter in there to split the nut,
(I'd really rather not be lying on the floor looking up at the nut,
even with the eye protection, trying to grind through the nut
and not screw up the bowl flange) has anybody got any
ideas on what might loosen this thing up?

A larger than average screw driver to hold the tank screw - with
shoulder effort. Clasp small vise grip pliers on the bolt and start to
remove the nut. It may break, being soft brass.

--
Oren

Already using the vise grips on some tries as well as using the box wrench
on some tries. Screwdrier is huge. Almost 12 inches long,
honking wide blade.

Meant to mention that I sprayed a lot of liquid wrench on nut / bolt
combination,
but that pesky gravty stuff keeps draining the liquid wrench out of /
off of
the nut / bolt.