Martin H. Eastburn

Default Soft soldering stainless steel

with all this talk - I'd preheat in an oven to near the temp you
need and then add the temp with a 150 watt iron or flame.

You are not saying if it is a tractor trailer side or ear rings. :-)
There might be different issues on each size.

Martin

Ecnerwal wrote:

In article ,
(Glenn Cramond) wrote:

I need to soft solder some 18# stainless steel and would really
appreciate some tips please.

Stainless steel flux - Back when I did a lot of this (1980s), I used
Eutectic Castolin #157 for soft solder. The castolin website appears to
suck rocks, so I can't confirm the number or that the stuff is still
made now. Clean the metal well mechanically (brush, scotchbrite or
sandpaper) first, flux quickly.

An OA torch with a long feather (absurdly carburizing flame) works
nicely, as the long flame can be laid along the joint (stainless is a
poor heat conductor).

95/5 tin/antimony works well for solder.

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

NRA LOH, NRA Life