Posted to alt.home.repair

Default why doesn't central air conditioning use the condensate to cool the condensor?

On Aug 7, 10:38 am, Meat Plow wrote:
On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 07:28:27 -0700, z wrote:
I think my central A/C spends 99% of its energy dehumidifying the
house. The water just goes to water the shrub planted next to the
compressor outside. Why couldn't it at least be sprayed on the
condensor coils?

That happens to a certain extent in window air conditioners.

I doubt anywhere near 99% of the energy goes to de-humidifying. And
if you were to design a system to use water to achieve any significant
benefit in additional cooling of the condenser, I would think you
would have to have a lot more water than the amount generated by the
AC system. And with that type system would come more complexity,
issues of corrosion, cleaning, etc.

As another issue, there was a thread here last year about whether it
makes much difference putting the condenser in the shade, via some
well placed trees, etc. I would think it would and have also seen
that recommended many times, to reduce energy usage. But in the
course of that discussion, there wqs an actual study referenced that
showed it apparetly made very little, if any practical difference,
whether the condenser was in direct sunlight or shaded.