BigWallop

Default Conservatory floor/foundation issues

"BigWallop" wrote in message

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
How important is it to do the foundations right for a conservatory? It

will
go over an area that is currently half concrete slab (looks thin) and

bricks
(a bit wobbly). Can I just get some concrete over the whole lot to level

and
strengthen it, or do I need to do some serious digging? The sides would

be
wooden. I want to use the room as a dining room, as it is right next to

the
kitchen.

The back garden has no access except through the house. It is not

possible
to get large pieces of equipment to the rear. Is it possible to have

ready
mixed concrete pumped through the house through a hose? Obviously the
quantities required aren't huge, but I don't think you'd get a mixer

round
the back. A full wheelbarrow is out of the question as there is a sharp

turn
and newly sanded and varnished floors. You'd need to upend it to get

round
the corner.

One edge of the conservatory may form the boundary, replacing a rotten
fence. Windows on that side would be painted out, or replaced with ply.

Does
this complicate the issue, as this wall would be right on the edge of

the
slab? I could build just up to the fence, and just take the fence panel

down
when maintaining. This will probably be at the neighbours option.

Christian.

This should explain a bit more about it:

http://www.pavingexpert.com/concrete.htm

Hi Again Christian,

After reading your post again, with a bit more attention this time, I notice
you say one wall will form the boundary of your property. It would then
fall under party wall legislation and may be a problem to build without
special planning permission. I take it you do have planning permission
already for your proposed original site ? If not, stop even thinking about
building anything until you do.

A conservatory falls into two categories. Firstly you have what is refereed
to as a glue on conservatory, which is just a glass covered patio area. It
consists of a small foundation which takes the weight of the people walking
on it, rather than the actual structural weight of the whole build. A glued
on covered patio needs written consent of non-objection from neighbours who
will be looking at the thing when they go into their own property, and is
also regulated by drainage warrants for surface water soak away.

The second type of conservatory is totally different. This type of
conservatory is called an added room to your existing property. Now adding
a room to your property, as you can imagine, brings with it all sorts of
regulation and legislation for ground support (foundations), structural
height (the roofing material) and wall spanning (the size, shape and weight
of the whole thing), all of which must be drawn on paper and submitted to
your local planning department for approval. The local planning and
building control people will inspect the site for any drainage problems,
overlooked area problems (this is in case you have any pervs' about,
remember the see through walls) and any conservation notices on the land
Etc, Etc.

Now you say you'd like to use the area as an actual dining "ROOM", and I
emphasise "room", and therefore, you need to plan for fire break qualities,
escape route plans, thermal regulation properties, floor structure design
(remember, if it collapses while you have guest in it, it is a manslaughter
charge) and insurance restriction for its security qualities.

So, after finding out in more detail what is actually involved, do you still
plan to bang posts into the ground to take a few panes of glass and lay a
couple of pallets on the ground with a plywood sheet over them ? My advice
to you is, "you should now go to an actual company that does them for a
living, and ask how they go about building one of these things". Put your
mind at ease.

---
BigWallop

http://basecuritysystems.no-ip.com