Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh Lloyd E. Sponenburgh is offline

Default Need recommendation for a air compressor

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Mon, 06 Aug 2007 22:18:39 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Grant Erwin quickly quoth:

Alex wrote:

I am shopping for a 60 gal 5 HP or bigger air compressor. Can anyone
comment on Husky compressors sold at Home Depot? Any other brand?

I shopped metal graveyards (local scrap dealer) for about five years until I
found what I wanted.

I found a thoroughly-holed OLD (old!) 80-gallon horizontal rig with a Quincy
pump on it, for $0.10/lb. About $40.00, IIRC.

$40 bought a very nice, heavily galvanized, 120-gallon vertical
direct-burial propane tank.
About $150 bought regulator, water trap, pop-off valve, gauges, and a new
check valve.

"Free" bought a 5HP Baldor motor with starter, and with a bad bearing. "Shop
says it can't be fixed for what a new one's worth." $12.00 bought a new
bearing. $8.00 one new cap for the motor.

Six or seven hours of welding, fitting, and painting. About two hours to
re-face the pump's valves and seats.

Bottom line was under $300 -- About the price of a brand new Husky from
Home Despots. I'll let you figure out the relative quality and usefulness
of the two. Mine's on 24/7, and never, ever runs unless I'm actually using
air, or forget to pull the blow gun off my line when I'm done. (I simply
_cannot_ find a blow gun that doesn't leak a little ....)

Now, I've got a compressor I'll probably never replace, and fix seldom, with
all standard, off-the-shelf components.

LLoyd