Posted to alt.binaries.schematics.electronic,sci.electronics.design
Jim Thompson Jim Thompson is offline

Default CD4060 oscillator, max resistor value (From SED) - Oscillator-ModifiedOldStyleCMOS.pdf

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007 22:45:18 -0400, "Tom Del Rosso"
wrote:

"Jim Thompson" wrote
in message news
My preferred oscillator basically is...

http://analog-innovations.com/SED/CMOS-Osc-NoClip.pdf

That was given as the prefered design in National's "CMOS Oscillators"
appnote in the 1981 4000 book.

but without the attenuator to avoid the ESD diodes... since my custom
stuff has no ESD diodes on the internal nodes.

Can you explain that? No attenuation means you don't get overshoot? That
seems backwards.

No attenuation means the free end of the capacitor can swing ABOVE and
BELOW rails without clamping.

Also the inverters are single stage instead of the 3-somes built into
the 74HC04's

My sense is (by intuition but not analysis) that the positive feedback makes
that possible. Right?

Yes.

...Jim Thompson
--