Harold & Susan Vordos

Default New Shop Building

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
k.net...
You didn't say what part of the country you're in. If you're north of the
Mason Dixon line, put hydronic heat tubing in the floor, even if you don't
plan to use it now. Installing just the tubing is very inexpensive and
leaves open your option for the best heating system their is. Unless you

put
insulation under the floor, this would only be a supplemental heat.

Karl

My shop has just such a heating system. I fully agree. Not only is it
comfortable, but the overall environment is much dryer, thanks to the heated
concrete. The typical shop floor can have 3/8" diameter tubing in 200'
runs on 18" centers and do a great job. I used the rebar I mentioned in
my other post (above) to tie the tubing in place. In my case, the tubing
wasn't cheap, though. Heatway, which is now Watts Heatway, uses a rubber
tubing (hose) instead of plastic. They have it made especially for
heating. It's three ply, with one of the layers an oxygen barrier. It's
important that closed hydronic heating systems do not absorb oxygen. The
system has been running for 4 years now and has worked flawlessly once I got
it balanced.

Harold