Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank Frank is offline

Default Back up generator for deep well pump

On Aug 5, 10:44 pm, "Toller" wrote:
"Frank" frankdotlogullo@comcastperiodnet wrote in message

Robert wrote:
I am having a well drilled to 400' and will get a 220v 1.5 hp motor
for the pump. I would like to buy a back-up generator in case of
extended power outages. Can anybody tell me what watt generator I
would need? Thanks - Robert

Why stop with well? I have a 7,350 starting watts, 5,500 running watts
generator that handles well, furnace, 2 freezers and refrigerator as well
as a few lights and TV.

Because it can be difficult to find gas during a power outage.
How many gallons a day does that burn?

That depends where you live. What you say is true for hurricane
intensive regions but where I live it is localized with fallen trees.
If I had natural gas service, I would have got a generator that works
on gas or propane. My generator uses about 10 gallons of gasoline a
day if run continuously but in real life where I turn it off at night
when sleeping or when nobody is home, I use about 5 gallons/day.
Refrigerators and freezers can usually get by without power for half a
day. So with two 5 gallon cans of gas and a full tank in the
generator, I'm good for 3 days.
Not mentioned in thread is need to buy a decent generator. Honda's
are best and quietest but cost twice as much. El cheapo's like
Coleman may work but be difficult to get replacement parts. Then
there is need to install a transfer box in house electrical system.
Frank