Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Just discovered a cellar!!!

raden wrote:
In message , The Natural
Philosopher writes
wrote:
On 5 Aug, 13:41, " wrote:
I had to underpin the house, damp proof inject the walls,
Neither of these are required, BCO was wrong to insist on those.
Depends if there are any alterations that influence part of the
original structure.

excavate the floor, put in a dpm, radon sump.
fair enough. And insulation.
Not if the work undertaken was a repair.

I've just decided to "repair" the floor rather than "replace" a
section of it. Unfortunately the replacement tiles will be a lot
bigger and a different colour. Thanks for the tip!
Putting a dpm down is a guaranteed way of making the house
uninhabitable. The idea that 2ft thick random stone and mud walls can
be injected with a dpc is lunacy.

If the stone is impervious, then its just the mortar that needs it.

There are other ways of slowing water ingress tho.

Better tell Griff Rhys Jones ...

Yeah..I saw that as well. Poor sod. He really has been a twit: First of
all buying it, and then 'doing it by the book'

If intelligence kicks in, he might finally turn it into a program about
conservation authorities..